Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Grounded



 
I am never quite sure what to do with people who are absolutely sure their words, agendas, and actions are God’s. Don’t get me wrong. I do believe God works through people. It is just that when people become so sure in their interpretation that they leave no room for discussion. Often, these folks make me wonder if I am spiritual enough. Sometimes, they are just scary and I want to avoid them. Other times, I wonder what hurt they are protecting with their defensiveness.

I say “interpretation” because only God knows what’s on God’s mind and what God wants. Only God can say that there is no room for discussion. Scripture does not interpret itself. The rest of us are sinners and you never know when this “certainty” is, in fact, sin. In the current zeitgeist, discussion is frowned upon if not downright outlawed.

It is okay not to be sure, of yourself or of those who claim infallibility. It is okay to have questions. And it’s okay to get it wrong and have to admit it. We are naturally selfish. This does not surprise God and God. God sees the entire picture. We see but a snapshot. 

Humility (see word origin) is in order. Be grounded today. Practice humility. Don’t be pressured when it is not displayed by others.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.  (Isaiah 55:8-9 ESV) (listen)    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment