Saturday, September 22, 2012

Narrow



I played a more challenging version of solitaire on my phone while waiting at the vet for Casey. It was a free app, so I downloaded it. I won the first 4 games. I’m AWESOME! Then I got to thinking. That’s just not right. I opened the “preferences” tab and saw this checked.
Solvable Deals Only

In other words, the default setting on this game is YOU WIN EVERY GAME. Where have we come as a society of “Everyone is a Winner” where we even need a game on our phone to pump up our ego?

My self-esteem comes from God. God authored our creation.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14 (NIV)

And life comes through facing challenges and not skirting them.

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13-14 (NIV)

Most of us have heard the following. But did you know it was said by God in the context of going through 70 years of difficulty? 

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

God may not create the challenges you face today but God will use them to serve life. Our life. Trusting God is not easy but it bears fruit. The easy route just leads to false security and continual let-down because we have sought our strength from our environment and circumstances, which we have little control over.

Be bold.

We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame,
because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit,
who has been given to us. Romans 5:3b-5 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment