Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Wells 5-8616




Or 4653. Those where two of my old phone numbers. WE5-8616 was 935-8616. No area codes in those days. 4653 was our phone in Rangely, Colorado. Town so small, no need for a phone number prefix.

Today, I don’t even know my wife’s phone number. But I have over 500 at my fingertips even if I don’t have one on my lips.

We never answered the phone during meals. Besides the cord would not reach the dining room table. Most calls got answered. People were not “busy” always. If they weren’t home, oh well, call later. My mother taught me never to answer the phone while I was talking to another. Impolite and disrespectful. No answering machines. If I got in trouble, I had a dime in my shoe for a pay phone (try finding one of these and, if you do, try to get the hooker or drug dealer off it.) 

Phone. Black with an option for Black. No buttons. 

Those were different days. But not better ones. Judging days blinds us to what God wants to do with them. Judging puts a period where God has an ellipsis

Some carry burdens of the past that rob them of today. Some have fears of a very uncertain future. Some believe that the weight of today will last forever.

But some look for God beyond the details of those days. I hope you are one of these. God is there redeeming. I pray you have a blessed day.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8 (NIV)

Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Luke 12:27-31 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment