Saturday, September 26, 2009

At Your Service

"Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death -
even death on a cross!" - Philippians 2:4-8 (NIV)

 
"It's my right!" is claimed every day. Unless I am in a restaurant or store, I seldom here, "How may I serve you" said.  If it is said, chances are, it is to get a tip, or to serve the "bottom line."
 
Even God is obedient to self-sacrificing service. Why do I think I am immune? I worry about getting my due. God's concern is us getting our due. He asks that our concern be about others getting their due through us. God entrusts us with the care of all creation, most especially our neighbors. Yet most neighbors of ours are caricatures, either unknown people for whom we guess an identity or people we disagree with, who we paint in the most unflattering terms or people just like us. This "due-giving" is on our terms and for our comfort.
 
May you meet each person, public or private, known or unknown, On TV or on the street with a servant's heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment