Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Just Get By

I have noticed a growing population of people who have a life strategy of "just get by" (JGB.) This is the phenomenon of putting the absolute least amount of energy into any project, big or small. In other words, doing just enough to get by. What got me reflecting was coffee. While making coffee at church the other day, I noticed plastic bags in the refrigerator (they multiply faster than rabbits,) vestiges of snacks gone by. Then I noticed the coffee cups. A sleeve was open on the counter. Someone had gotten their one cup and left me the sleeve to set up and discard the wrapper. Later in the day, toilet paper – nice brown tube on holder-new roll still on the tank. Also, trash on the floor, right below the cavernous opening of the trash can. Still later, I heard of "winging it" in a church classroom – preparation to teach was too hard. Now, I am sure all of these people are very nice people. And I know Jesus died for them. But I wonder if we have come to diminish life by JGB.

 

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men  Colossians 3:23 (NIV)

 

What we have done, knowingly or unknowingly (it does not matter,) is to become people who do things only for ourselves. Not thinking of Jesus or even fellow travelers on the Way.

 

What, big and small, will you do today? Will every move be done the best it can be done, regardless of its seeming import? Will what you do at home, work and play be for Jesus?

 

We thank you for setting us at tasks which demand our best efforts, and for leading us to accomplishments which satisfy and delight us.   From The General Thanksgiving in the Prayer Book

No comments:

Post a Comment