Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Safe Mode

Michael Shermer, in a Scientific American article on the link of vaccines and autism, wrote this. "...thinking anecdotally comes naturally, whereas thinking scientifically does not."   In other words, we let our personal experiences color how we believe the world works, even if it is to our detriment. I might write "thinking anecdotally comes naturally, whereas thinking Biblically does not." To press this further, a Biblical worldview gives life whereas a life built strictly on reservoir of anecdotal knowledge, is a dead end no matter how "right" it feels to me.

Martin Luther thought similarly. Our default position in life is to be selfish. When we awake in the morning, we do so as a person with a choice - autopilot (and sooner or later crash) or turn to God in the most intimate and dependent way. It is like our computer. Knowing a virus is likely, we start in "Safe Mode" rather than starting as if we were not in danger. We are in danger.

Each morning, I "reboot" Jim. As tempting (and "expedient" to quote Pilate) as it is to burst on the scene under my own steam, I am dead if I don't start in safe mode. Safe mode is not rote prayer or handing God a laundry list of "to do" items. Safe mode is an ongoing, loving relationship with Christ where I hang on his every word.

I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.
                                                                                                           John 3:3 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment