Thursday, September 24, 2009

Be Still

Rabbi Marc Gellman, quoted in a N Y Times Magazine article click here  said, "…when you have a large percentage at a religious service who aren't actually praying, it dilutes the quality of the entire experience." In other words, "people gathered" do not necessarily equal "people worshiping." The rabbi had noted how many "social" worshipers there were. People who come to socialize with each other but not necessarily with God.  Worship suffers when the body of people is not entering into a relationship with the living God.

 

As a priest, I often wonder how well I bring people into a relationship with God as opposed to "getting them to church." Church, when it seems to be an option among many, tends to be more a social encounter rather than a time to interact with God. Church does seem pretty optional.

 

Maybe I have not done the work of a pastor, introducing people to God and encouraging their relationship with God.

 

Is church social to you? Is it one option among many? Do you encounter God on Sundays when you are in church? Do you try? Do you need help?

 

I don't know about you but I have enough places I am expected to be on any given day. I don't need any more. But I do need a God of love in my life. That need never goes away.

 

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment