Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Plumbing

Where can I find a good Christian Plumber?

I noticed that a contractor had in his ad that he was a Christian contractor. I am not sure what that means. I suppose it might mean simply that I might want to know that he is a Christian. That's nice. It may also mean that this is a better service because it serves Christ first. That would be great! Someone might tell me that I should keep my business with other Christians, not because they are good at what they do, but because they are Christians. The worst read would be something like this. "Hey, you Christians out there, you should support Christians when you trade." In the end, I have no idea what it means. What I do know is this. I want a great plumber.

I want a good, honest plumber. If a plumber treats me honestly, charges a fair price, works a skillfully as possible in pouring himself into my repair, I think he is working for Christ. He may not be a Christian but that attitude is one that Christians should have. The attitude? Do the best with what I have been given in the service of others. The label "Christian" may or may not lead me to a better plumber. If the plumber is "Christian" but lousy, where is Christ in that? If the plumber is Muslim but is a master servant, how missing is Christ?

All service, done well, points to God. Labels mean little. Substance means a lot.

Will I wear the label of Christ today or will I be Christ? The former feels comfy and demands little. The latter is impossible and demands everything AND grace. I hope I chose the later today. In spite of the sacrifice, I will find life in it and I will be a source of life to others.

 

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.  Matthew 23:23 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment