Monday, September 14, 2009

Human Doings

I notice a phenomenon for which bothers me. I see attendance at worship diminish all the while volunteership increases. Yes, I could blame me for not doing something right. That may be true. I am pretty quick to blame me for many ills. I think it may have to do with love, however. This phenomenon of declining worship and increasing ministry mirror our world. We love the status of our achievements and busyness but withdraw from the messy work of relationships. Tasks are so much more manageable than people. Worshiping God is about loving God. That is a major investment.

I fall prey to this line of thought myself. Churches should look active and have quality (read "better than the next church") ministries. We don't want our church "voted of the island." Besides, we look churchy when occupied with so many "churchy" things. We have come to believe that "busy" shows we are true Christians, living a high moral life of service. In life, that gets no traction.

But let's back up. God created us for love. Loving God and loving each other. Tasks and projects and stuff were all created to advance love and not take the place of it. We feel validates as human "doings" but are harder pressed to be lovers - our primary occupation.

I don't know if God gets lonely or his feelings hurt. I think God does. When, in the name of his Sin, God sees all sorts of stuff going on, I bet he says under his breath, "Hey, what about me? I'm lovable and I love you and want to love you into a life beyond your imagination, beyond your limiting circumstances."

I gotta rethink my leadership on this. I have to look at myself. The importance of Worship and Loving God is where it's at and everything else will take care of itself.  Ministry is a fruit of that love but cannot become a substitute. I'll let you know what I discover.

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. Deuteronomy 6:5 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment