Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Weird

I'm officially a dork. I kinda knew it but the new issue of Wired magazine confirmed it. For those of you that don't know, Wired is a cultural commentary with a decidedly post-modern, high tech cynicism (my description.) I read it to know what's going on in culture and what may lie in the future.

Wired ran an article on "New Rules for Digital Gentlemen." The rules were answers to how to handle yourself in a cell phone, Twitter, Facebook video game world. Here is where I learn of my ungentlemanly dorkiness. Cordless drill holsters are cool. Cell phone holsters are not. I was relieved to know that talking on a cell phone while in the men's room is uncool (but texting was okay.) and that my highly unflattering picture on Facebook was preferred to a studio, airbrushed one.

I often feel awkward and just weird at times. I never know just how to "fit in" or even if I do. At church, I hand out with people closer to my daughters' ages. Why is it that, just when you think you have the world figured out, it changes and awkwardness sets in?

For a follower of Christ, the awkwardness (tension) of not fitting in should not go away. Followers, in fact, are promised that they will not fit in.

Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."
Luke 9:58 (NIV)


This passage comes right after the pivot point in Luke where Jesus sets of (resolutely) towards this destiny and death in Jerusalem.  Elsewhere, Peter says,

Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.
1 Peter 2:11 (NIV)


And John says

He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.
John 1:10 (NIV)


So, am I weird for weirdness sake or for God's sake? I am I a resident alien because I am a follower and Jesus seems quirky, out-of-step, with the spirit of the age? Would anyone recognize me as "other" because I am a follower or do I camouflage my faith well? Today, I want to be decidedly alien, for God's sake. I will follow and followers are weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment