Monday, April 4, 2011

Time

Sunday's Gospel reading was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. Good story but minds wandered in an oral recitation. It took too much time.

 

Most everyone tells me that they do not have enough time. Since time was God's idea, I wondered. Is God "off duty" and forgot about us? Did God make a faulty universe that needed 29 hour days? Was God unaware of our needs?

 

I frame my questions in my usual way. It's all about me. I could have framed them this way. Am I off duty and have forgotten God? Is the universe I created (and of which I am the supreme ruler) faulty and might I want to check under the hood of this world I created?  Am I unaware of God's desires for me?

 

Jesus talks about and lives in a different time: the right time, the pregnant moment, the fullness of time, the proper time. I live in the pressure of time's-a-wasting, crush of time, never enough time, just in time, there's no time.

 

Could it be that Jesus has been trying to usher me into a new way of keeping time? He said; mind God's business and you'd be amazed how everything else takes care of itself. God tells us that there is a time for everything.

 

Ask God to teach you how to tell time, his time. How to choose wisely. How to say "no" when it is needed (He gets most of our "no's.) And when to say "yes." The pressure's off. There is enough time. For a follower.

 

2 Have mercy on me, LORD, for I am faint;
   heal me, LORD, for my bones are in agony.
3 My soul is in deep anguish.
   How long, LORD, how long?

 4 Turn, LORD, and deliver me;
   save me because of your unfailing love.

                                                                                    Psalm 6:2-4



No comments:

Post a Comment