Saturday, July 30, 2011

High School

Some days, I feel like I am in high school again. First, let me say, that I have found people view their high school days differently. For some, they are best forgotten days of misery. For others, they were great days, filled with memories. But they have moved on. Still others have not left high school (at least in their minds,) seeing those days as the last great days of their life. Try to keep them alive! With this in mind, I understand that you all will read this post differently.

I was on the "B" team in high school. Tolerated by the cool kids but not relegated to the netherworld of bottom feeders. As a result, I mingled with both crowds but was accepted by neither. This seems to be about where I am today.

Back to today. It feels like high school many days because posers, people with more stuff, the beautiful and the loudest seem to run the show. Maybe they don't but they seem like they do. People fawn over them. They set everyone else's agenda (yes, we could be stronger.) They are given a pass on many things. All this while everyday folks keep on with little fanfare and, often, few advocates.

This week, seek out people of character and people willing to compromise. Listen to someone who you think is beneath you. But look, too, beyond wealth, beauty and power to see a true person. Encourage a community of equals who desperately need one another.

For it is written:
   "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
   the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."
 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.  1 Corinthians 1:19-21


No comments:

Post a Comment