Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lotto

8:55 pm on a Wednesday. I slip in line at the local convenience store to buy a Diet Coke. Lotto night. People cranky to meet the 9:00 pm deadline. They know they have a winner. Clerk is frazzled and being treated like dirt. "Hurry!" "I got my numbers." No eye contact.

When I get to the front of the line at 9:02, I look the clerk in the eye and tell him, "God thinks you are special and so do I. Don't believe anything you hear in line." I went on to become the unofficial chaplain to the Stop n' Go's in town. Murders and robberies, births and graduations. Tears and laughter. And life.

When you trade, do you look that person who performs a service in the eye? Do you remember that Jesus Christ pointed out that the holiest form of life is as a servant? Appreciate those faceless servants in your life this week by giving them their face back.

My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ
must not show favoritism. James 2:1

Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these
brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me. Matthew 25:40

No comments:

Post a Comment