Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Not Seeing in Believing

John, in his Gospel, casts Thomas as the "hard evidence" guy, the one who needs to have a concrete proof before he accepts what people tell him.

Now Thomas (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!"    But he said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."  John 20:24-25 (NIV)

Later, Jesus tips his hand, telling us that belief will need to come without proof, without seeing.

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29 (NIV)
  • Can I take action for Christ without everything being nailed down (no pun intended?)
  • Can I take a risk that will deepen relationships or alleviate pain and suffering without complete certainty that I will succeed?
  • Am I risk averse and, maybe, belief averse?
  • What (who) do I trust in? Money? Fame? Family? Success? Intelligence? Does it (she/he/them) deserve my total trust?
  • What is the fruit of my trust? Am I blessed (verse 20:29 above?) Is what I trust in worthy of Christ?
  • Has Christ appeared in my life and I overlooked him?

No comments:

Post a Comment