Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Quantum Jesus

The May 2nd issue of The New Yorker has an article entitled "Dream Machine." In it, Rivka Galchen describes the world of quantum mechanics through the eyes of David Deutsch.  I am a bit of an engineering nerd and love science and its interplay with God.

 

Anyway, part of the article discusses the possibility of parallel universes and the ability of two things to be in the same place at the same time and the phenomenon of just changing an object by looking at it.

 

So much of our understanding of God is based on what we can comprehend. Yes, I know it's "faith:" the Bible and Church history and all that. But my experience of myself and of others as a priest tells me that we base most of what we believe on what we have experienced (hence we can grasp it) and less on what the Church tells us is "the faith."  In other words, if it's too "out there," we may say we believe it but we have faith in our informed hunches instead. Often, Jesus takes a back seat to what we "feel."

 

So, what if the world truly is not what we think it is? What if our comprehension of bigger things does not translate to little (quantum) things, like faith? If there is other intelligent life, did Jesus die for them? Or does God have a plan to redeem them? Is there a good "me" and a bad "me" in the same place at the same time? I am I a trustworthy source all on my own?

 

One of the most freeing things in my life was the day I realized that "there's more" and "there's stuff I cannot wrap my brain around." Rather than drawing me from God, it drew me to God. Mystery grew my faith. I am little but God is big. And that's okay. No, it's great.

 

Do you know what you don't know? Are you way too sure of what you do know? Is there room for a real challenge to your certainty? Have you had the pleasure and warmth of mystery? I pray so. What if there's more?





No comments:

Post a Comment