Monday, May 2, 2011

What Love Looks Like

Over the year's I have had many mentors. I have tried to learn from them but must admit that I forget a lot. This is about what I remember. Here are a few pearls that I learned and made their way into my heart and have become second nature. They are about acting in love towards others through communication that embodies love.

 

o       Close the Loop – Follow up on what you were asked to do so all know it is done and not "hope" it is done.

 

o       Return calls (email) within 24 hours – If I don't want to do this, I should not give a person the expectation that I will promptly answer them.

 

o       Never give bad news by email or leave on voicemail – Too impersonal. It is cheap to "bail out" on someone via email. Take the heat. Do it in person. At worst, over the phone.

 

o       (New one) Do not use email or voicemail to give "last minute" information – Many people just don't check in that often, especially on weekends.

 

o       Put it back in such a way that it is ready for the next person – First, they will find what they need where they expect it. Second, they will find it in usable condition (not empty, dirty or broken)

 

o       Say "Thank you" often – Better yet, write a note of thanks

 

o       Drop what you are doing when someone enters the room – Give them your full attention.  If you don't want to drop it, close the door.

 

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

John 15:13

 

What would you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment