Sunday, May 1, 2011

Smart Enough?

Now when the rulers and elders and scribes saw the boldness

of Peter and John and realized that they were uneducated

and ordinary men, they were amazed and recognized them as companions of Jesus. Acts 4:13

 

It is a pretty common phenomenon for us to "Oooo" and "Ahhh" at very knowledgeable Christians. In our part of the world, quoting scripture is de rigor – expected.  We "Oooo" and "Ahhh" at those who have the Christian "look." The Bible, the prayer posture, the dress, the ICHTHUS for the car, the twinge of self-righteousness, the moralisms, the proper issues, the certainty of who gets to go to Hell.

 

Let me be clear; I love to learn, I am passionate about my Lord, and I know a fair bit of scripture.

 

Yet, I am taken with the fact that Jesus accomplished his work with rabbinical school dropouts. That Jesus left his Bride, the Church, in the hands of ordinary people. Ordinary people seemed to gravitate to Jesus. Religious folks seemed to be repelled by him. Jesus seemed quite fond of ordinary people.

 

The really religious folks, for the most part, found Jesus to be undermining God – working for Satan. Ultimately, they did away with him as an inconvenience.

 

I am going to go out on a limb here. I bet you are wonderful but ordinary. I bet you know enough even as you strive to know more.

 

Guess what? You are the Church and Christ trusts you to be his ambassador. Remember that as you go about your day today. Let's hear it for ordinary.



No comments:

Post a Comment