Saturday, October 1, 2011

Amazon

I buy everything from Amazon.com. Yes, I am lazy and I hate shopping. I am a "search and destroy, in-and-out" shopper. But the real reason I buy Amazon is that they deliver. Not deliver "to your door," although they do.  But deliver in the sense that they do what they promise. Low price, quick delivery, no hassle returns, no surprises.

I like people who deliver. People who I can count on to keep their word even if doing so is at a high personal cost. My dad told me as a child that I was to keep my word, no matter what the cost to me. That meant considering when and where I gave my word. Oh, and that meant no whining or excuses. If needed, say you're sorry and mean it. That means no repeating "broken promises" behavior.

My mom modified this a bit. She added, "If you commit and a better deal comes along, keep the first commitment." Period. This seems very black and white but it really makes life easier. I do not need to agonize over so many choices. There's freedom in commitment.

I hope I am that kind of person.

How about you? What will be your commitment quotient today?

 

A Collect for Peace

 

(The Book of Common Prayer 1979 – Rite I Morning Prayer)

O God, who art the author of peace and lover of concord, in
knowledge of whom standeth our eternal life, whose service
is perfect freedom
: Defend us, thy humble servants, in all
assaults of our enemies; that we, surely trusting in thy
defense, may not fear the power of any adversaries; through
the might of Jesus Christ our Lord.     Amen.

 

Matthew 10:39 (NIV)

 

Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment