Thursday, October 20, 2011

Crazy


I spoke with a person the other day who related why everyone needed to back off because he/she had a bazillion balls the air. We just did not get it. His/her life was 100 miles an hour 24/7. I was told that God understands if he has to take a back seat to the demands of others. Actually, I have this conversation at least once a week with someone. We are not alone in our pain.

Loving this person and being the pastor that I am, I was dumb enough to suggest limiting the things he/she did as well as the activities of his/her family. Now, I REALLY didn't get it. He/she HAD to do these things. I decided that he/she wanted to vent and not fix the problem. So I moved on. If I have learned one thing, it is this. People like complaining more than fixing and, while, overly busy people are dying (along with their families,) they prefer a death they know to a life they do not.

Jesus spoke of the narrow door, the limited life. Discipline brings freedom he says. Especially when that discipline is formed and guided by God. Rather than being a spoil-sport, God looks after finite beings by encouraging limits to our freedom. Pure, unbridled freedom results in chaos.

Life is found in limits.

Are you brave enough to limit yourself for God's sake (and your own?)

Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, 
I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.
Luke 13:24

For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.  
Matthew 6:32-34 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment