Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hope

All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming. Helen Keller

 

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.  Jesus (John 16:33)

 

I have noticed that this spring and summer seem to have more that their fair share of pain and difficulties for the people of my church. Suffering seems to go in cycles but we always notice the "bad" cycle more. God usually is expected to have an answer and comfort in these times. Sometimes, God gets the blame as well. God is expected to fix it. Now!

 

If I open a newspaper or turn on the TV, fear of what has happened our about to happen or may happen abound. Fear sells ads. It also sells us hopelessness if we are not careful.

 

I have learned (with great pains and practice) that Jesus has overcome the world (and all its suffering.) This may seem like an incomplete answer because there is no instant smiley face or solution. Faith (trust that nothing else will work) proves otherwise.

 

The only true answer to the brokenness of the world (and ourselves) is a God who cannot be broken but willingly accepts brokenness for us. The economy of how God works escapes me. He's too big and I am too puny. I am smart enough to know I need help.

 

But I trust that Jesus has overcome the world whether or not it seems apparent (or quick enough) for me. And that's enough to bring peace, if I let it.

 

May you trust God with your deepest hurt today and know he has it under control even if you do not.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment