Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cold

Today is cold, at least for Houston. It reminds me of my days on the drill rigs of the Four Corners area. Brrrrr. I would don silk sox, then cotton sox and then wool sox and place then in an insulated boot. If your feet got cold, it was all over. Everything was cold.

 

When I repeat my baptismal vows at a baptism, I am reminded of the interconnectedness of all of us. The baptismal candidate is placing her life not only in God's hands but also in the hands of a bunch of followers of Christ who are in various stages of faith. I tell baptismal candidates that one of the scandals of the Church is that we place our life in the hands of a bunch of unknown strangers.

 

As with my feet, in Church, one person has the power to lift up or to lay waste the rest of the Body. Maybe not for eternity, since that belongs to God. But for now. If one part of the Body gets cold, the whole Body can cool of no matter how many rituals, ministries or programs are present. Yet, the opposite is true. Just one can start a warming trend.

 

Consider your church. Are you, by heart, mind, soul and actions warming it up or cooling it off? We matter.






No comments:

Post a Comment