Monday, February 7, 2011

Gospel

Gospel

 

You may be the only Gospel your neighbor ever reads. St. Francis

 

Christ has no body on earth but yours,
no hands but yours,
no feet but yours.
Yours are the eyes through which
Christ's compassion for the world is to look out;
yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good;
and yours are the hands with which He is to bless us now.
St. Teresa of Avila

 

What does the life you live say about God? I was really mad the other day. I took it out on anyone and everyone I had more than a casual contact with.

 

Later, I reflected. I am not sure why. Is this the best I have to offer? Is this the way Christ would interact with others, especially those who bore no ill?

 

I reflected more. What else do I do? Maybe unconsciously? I am not talking about stealing or murder. I am talking about overlooking someone's pain, turning a person who I don't understand into a caricature so I can blow them off, sticking to cushy, familiar tasks and avoiding the awkward, messy, one-of-a-kind interactions that might truly make a difference one day? Where does the world's need scream at me and I turn the other way/

 

What does the life you live say about God? I am going to attempt to improve his image.





No comments:

Post a Comment