Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Arrows

Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are

children born in one's youth. Psalm 127:4

 

I spent the evening of my birthday with my family: two daughters, one son-in-law and three grandchildren and my wife. It felt good.

 

A number of things crossed my mind and heart

 

  • I didn't do half bad.
  • How did I get so lucky as to have convinced a woman like my wife to marry me?
  • I really do like my grandchildren. We oddly speak a common language that I did not share with my girls when they were in their youth.
  • The world of my youth is light years away from that of my grandkids.
  • My girls, in their 30's, are still in flux. I was finishing a career in upper management of the oil industry by then; ready to start a new career as priest.
  • A lot of things just do not matter any more. They were so important in my youth.
  • What?!! I have a granddaughter in high school?!!!
  • What will it be like to exit center stage?
  • I'm slowing down.
  • What will my next career be?
  • Where did the years go?
  • I miss my mom: that feisty, spiritual, chain smoking, truck-stop-coffee-drinking dynamo ("I may be small, but I'm mighty!" she used to say.)
  • I have a few, fantastic friends.
  • I have a church of wonderfully crazy God-lovers who are up for anything. I love their energy.
  • Yeah, for mentors (Thanks, Carl, Leo, Rick, and John)
  • Did I really do that in my youth?
  • I want to give.
  • I am content.

 

 

God is good. Thanks, God.


No comments:

Post a Comment