Thursday, March 10, 2011

Certainty

People like being certain. We judge. We plan. We're sure. We know. We have you pegged. We're certain you can't change. This will (won't) work. We have the right answers. Tomorrow will be much like today or yesterday (that can be a happy statement or a dreaded one.) We're certain. Certainty has a comfy feel.

 

I am certain I will die. Not too sure about the intermediate details. I have come to realize that, for the most part, control and certainty are illusions created by me to hide the aforesaid certainty I do know. I was once dust. I'll be there again.

 

I have come to deal with life's uncertainty less by hiding from it (though I still do) and more by letting God handle it. Somewhere in God's 'to do' list, God has it covered. And it will be all right.

 

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight   Proverbs 3:5-6



No comments:

Post a Comment