Monday, March 21, 2011

Fed UP

 
 21 "I hate, I despise your religious festivals;
   your assemblies are a stench to me.
22 Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
   I will not accept them.
Though you bring choice fellowship offerings,
   I will have no regard for them.
23 Away with the noise of your songs!
   I will not listen to the music of your harps.
24 But let justice roll on like a river,
   righteousness like a never-failing stream!  Amos 5:20-24 

 

Do you get fed up? God does. He even hates things. In this case, our worship.  Our churchiness. Our Sunday Club. Specifically, when our spiritual life becomes hollow. When we go through the motions.  When the walk and the talk are miles apart. When we pay lip service to God and full service to us.

 

God is very clear. His agenda is people. Relationships. Justice. He has no time for religious showmanship or pomposity or busyness. God wants his people to address injustices. Serve the poor. Visit the lonely. Embrace the odd duck.

 

Get mad (and invest time, heart and money) at an injustice that speaks to you and do something for God.

 

People matter and so do their conditions. God hates the status quo. And in challenging it, we regain our life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment